What is a nervous shock claim?
Medical negligence nervous shock claims are brought by close family members of the victim of medical negligence who was either killed, injured or put in peril as a result of the negligence of a medical practitioner.
Members of the family who may be entitled to bring such a claim include:
- A parent of the victim or other person with parental responsibility for the victim.
- The spouse or partner of the victim.
- A child or stepchild of the victim or any other person for whom the victim has parental responsibility.
- A brother, sister, half-brother or half-sister, or stepbrother or stepsister of the victim.
These claims usually arise when the close family member suffers a recognisable psychiatric or psychological injury or illness, such as depression, anxiety or post-traumatic stress disorder.
What are some examples of claims?
We’ve acted in numerous medical negligence nervous shock claims for family members of victims of medical negligence, in cases involving:
- Birth injuries, defects and wrongful birth (see our page).
- Gynaecological injuries and pregnancy (see our page).
- Misdiagnosis and delayed diagnosis (see our page).
- Incorrect treatment and prescription errors (see our page).
- Surgical errors and mistakes (see our page).
- Plastic and cosmetic surgery (see our page)
- Dental treatment (see our page).
- Physiotherapy and chiropractic treatment (see our page).
- Falls in hospitals and development of pressure sores (see our page).
- Failure to warn and informed consent (see our page).
- Defective medical devices and implants (see our page).
If you believe you developed a psychiatric or psychological injury or illness as a result of your loved one not being treated with reasonable skill and care on the part of a medical practitioner, you can call us and speak to a specialist medical negligence lawyer who will give you free advice about what to do. It makes sense to get legal advice and find out where you stand.
What's the claim process?
We make the claim process easy for you.
We get to know you
We'll get to know you personally, listen to your side of the story and give you free advice on your options.
We ask more questions
We'll look beyond the obvious and see if your injuries have led to other complications, to claim everything you're entitled to.
We build the evidence
Led by your lawyer, your dedicated team including hand-picked medical specialists will build strong evidence to maximise your claim.
We pursue your claim
We win over 99% of our cases and we'll fight until you receive the compensation you're entitled to and deserve.
You receive your compensation
Your compensation will be paid into your bank account.
What will it cost me?
There are no upfront costs. We’ll provide free claim advice, we’ll cover all the costs to prepare and run your case and we only get paid when you receive your compensation. Also, just like a mobile phone bill, we put a cap on our fees so there are no nasty surprises at the end of your claim. You should feel comfortable that you can speak to your lawyer any time, without worrying about the cost getting out of control.
Where can I find a medical negligence expert in my area?
Law Partners is Australia’s largest specialist medical negligence firm, and we have 25 local offices.
We have solicitors and legal teams who specialise in medical negligence claims.
To find Law Partners offices near you enter your suburb:
Did you know?
If you don't live close to one of our offices we can provide free advice over the phone, and we can represent you without you having to leave your home. Call 13 15 15 speak to a specialist.